Thursday, January 27, 2011

Recommended Reading

As a small child my parents used to always read to my sister and I before we went to sleep at night. I can still recite The Cat in The Hat flawlessly because I made my dad read it so many times. This started my journey towards being an avid reader. Not only am I a voracious reader, I also am admittedly an incredibly pretentious reader. When people tell me they love things like Nicholas Sparks and John Grisham I judge them harshly and then whip out my well worn copy of a Dostoyevsky novel, and stare at them condescendingly from behind my 19th century Russian novel, feeling much smarter and more enlightened than everyone I know (because let's face it, I am).

I tell you this because I have been keeping a secret. This is hard for me to admit, but I LOVE trashy tween novels. I don't mean Twilight (although, admittedly I have read them all, perhaps more than once) I mean books series ghostwritten for everyone's favorite reality star: Lauren Conrad!
Oh yes kids, I read L.A. Candy, the tale of a recent high school grad who moves to L.A. to experience life, find love and somehow drink at bars even though she is underage yet never seems to get carded. Life throws her a crazy curveball and suddenly she finds herself on a reality television show! The best part of it all: it's a 3 part series. Three Lauren Conrad books, be still my heart.
 The great thing about these books is that if you, like Mandi and me, are a fan of Laguna Beach and The Hills you will be happy to know that all of your favorite characters are featured in these novels, just with different names! If you are sad about The Hills ending and desperately need more LC, Lo, Audrina and Heidi I recommend you read these. As an added bonus you can can read all 3 books in a day so people will give you mad props for reading not 1, not 2, but 3 whole books in one day.
  xoxo, Shanna

No comments:

Post a Comment