Monday, February 21, 2011

This One's For You, Tommy.

In first grade I called a kid "four eyes" and to this day I still feel bad about the whole thing. He was making all of these weird faces at me, and naturally, I assumed we were fighting. Those faces were atrocious! Trust me, there was no time for dilly-dally. I had to act, and so I decided to go straight for the jugular: "Stop it, FOUR EYES!" I tactfully blurted. Then I watched the devastation sweep over his face as he realized we were not friends after all. "You're mean," he mumbled with what little strength he had left, and then crumpled lifelessly into his seat.

Mean? Me? No! I was standing up for what was right- fighting for all mankind! How could I sit idly by as  such hideous faces were being made? ... I wanted to say I was sorry. I wanted to make things right between us. I wanted to turn back time and play the ugly faces game! But it was too late. The damage was irreversible, and nearly 20 years later (emphasis on nearly) my heart still aches at the thought of it. I'm sorry, Tommy!

And who knew that when we grew up glasses would become so fashionable?  Big, obnoxious glasses, for that matter! Needless to say, I didn't see that coming. And, as fate would have it, I have been making arrangements to get a pair of my own.








Remorsefully,
Mandi

No comments:

Post a Comment