Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Lighten Up, Friends.

I find that I have to stifle the urge to start every post with "ok, so..." I suppose that is because I write how I talk, and unfortunately, that is how I talk. I am just now, at this very moment, realizing that I start every story with "ok, so.. the other day." It's hard accepting the truth, isn't it?

Ok so, I have to tell you about this tragic thing that just occurred. I have some minor acne scars and decided recently that I would use some skin lightening lotion to fix that little problem. I turned to my friends at proactiv and they happily sent 30 dollars worth of skin lightening lotion.

 Well, I've been using it for a week and I don't know what made me do it- but something told me to do a little research on the situation. Come to find out, I'm going to die. Just kidding, but really, this lotion has a chemical in it that is linked to leukemia and skin cancer! Awesome! It's called Hydroquinone... or something like that. It's banned in Europe, but we Americans are still selling it like hot cakes. (But I wonder, do hot cakes really sell that well? Also, what are hot cakes?)

Anyway, my word to the wise and uneven colored is: do not use proactiv skin lightening lotion. Instead use something that is Hydroquinone-free, like Meladerm or Lucederm. Both products have good reviews and are said to be a lot safer. Also, using a topical form of Vitamin E will help to lighten scars over time. The truth of the matter is that bleaching the skin is so entirely unnatural, there is no entirely safe way to do it. Personally, I'd rather have scars than skin cancer. I think for now I'll continue to take my vitamins and use my excellent foundation and pray. Amen.

1 comment:

  1. amen!

    the chinese use a lot of different lotions and products that essentially bleach the skin. not a good idea for anyone. stick with the topical vitamin E. i hear it works wonders!

    ReplyDelete